Recently, complaints have been piling up about a certain error message in the biggest role-playing game hit of the year. On Reddit, numerous fans write that they are affected by the problem after an update More and more players are reporting an “Incompatible Version” error message in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Here’s the deal: The issue with the “Incompatible version” (data mismatch) message in Baldur’s Gate 3 seems to be a data balancing error that causes gameplay to be hindered. In this guide, we will show you how to fix the error.
Incompatible Version” Error in Baldur’s Gate 3
The reason for the error message to appear can be due to various factors, such as:
- Early Access Saves can be incompatible.
- There may be corrupted or missing game files.
- The use of mods and custom content.
- Configuration files or game settings may not be correct.
- Other software is running at the same time.
How to Fix the Problem
Finding out where the error originates is often not easy. To fix the issue, you can try several things:
Delete All Early Access Saves
If you have already played in the Early Access phase, your previous saves may be the cause of the error. To delete them, you can do the following:
- Navigate to “Saved Games” in Windows and then to your Early Access saves.
- Back up your current save game.
- Delete the Early Access save data from the folder.
- Restart the game.
If the error message still appears, select “Load Game” in the game and then “Delete Campaign”.
Delete All Your Mods
Outdated and/or buggy mods can also be the cause of the “Incompatible version” error in Baldur’s Gate 3. So, the next step is to delete all mods on your computer:
- Navigate to the following path in your Windows Explorer: “%LocalAppData%/LarianStudios/Launcher/Cache.”
- If there is a folder there, delete it completely.
- If you don’t find a folder there, navigate to “../Baldurs Gate 3/Data”.
- Delete the file settings.lsx from the profile folder.
- Empty your trash and restart the game.
Uninstall and Reinstall Baldur’s Gate 3
This is the last option you should consider, as it clearly involves the most effort. Most of the affected users report that one of these three options worked for them and the error message disappeared.
If this is not the case for you, you can still contact the Larian Studios support team.