In the role-playing hit Baldur’s Gate 3, romances play an important role for many players. That’s why we’ll tell you in our guide how to involve the vampire Astarion in a romance and win him over.
What it’s all about: Astarion is one of your many companions in Baldur’s Gate 3, whom you can recruit early in the game. However, the charming, headstrong, and mischievous vampire with white hair is challenging to romance. Cracking him is where many players fail.
How easy or difficult it will be for you to end up with Astarion depends, of course, on what kind of character and what kind of attitude you travel Faerûn with. Also essential is how you behave towards him during the romance. In Baldur’s Gate 3, romances, like the story, extend over several acts, so you can do many things wrong even after you land.
But we’re here to help, so the following guide will tell you how to start a romance with Astarion and stay on cloud nine with him for a long time.
|Attention: Baldur’s Gate 3 is a complex game; every decision can change the course of the game. We are gathering information from the game and other sources to give you the most accurate guide on starting a romance with Astarion and making it blossom.|
How to Start a Romance with Astarion in Baldur’s Gate 3
If you recruited Astarion at the beginning of the first act, you should always have him with you to score points with him with your actions and decisions. Apart from key moments, which we’ll discuss later, you’ll get Astarion’s approval or disapproval through the following deeds:
With this, you will earn Astarion’s affection:
- Astarion enjoys making fun of others, especially when it’s cruel.
- He especially enjoys it when others suffer.
- Astarion likes good deeds if they are funny enough for his taste (such as rescuing hostages and then letting them die).
- Astarion values personal loyalty because of his circumstances. He receives approval through several events that confirm this principle. As a result, it is possible to give him high approval without being evil.
- He is primarily concerned with his personal survival, self-interest, and assured freedom from Cazador.
- The larva has nullified his negative vampiric effects, which is why, for example, he can walk around in daylight without harm. And Cazador’s mind control has also been destroyed. Therefore, he is very attached to the larva. He favors dialogues that promote its use.
- Let him bite you regularly.
- Astarion likes it when you team up with evil creatures like goblins and devils.
- Demonstrate your power to other creatures.
With this, you will earn Astarion’s dislike:
- If you worry about the weak, Astarion sees that as weakness.
- If you show restraint towards various situations.
- If you judge him and his condition.
- He hates to play as a hero and therefore disapproves when you do heroic deeds.
- To avoid disapproval, Astarion should either stay in camp or be just far enough away from the dialogue when performing heroic deeds.
Also important: After a while, you will get a visit from Astarion, as he tries to drink your blood. He reveals himself as a vampire in this scene and you should let him. Don’t let him drain you too much, though, or it won’t end well. From now on, you can regularly give Astarion permission to feast on you. The fact that he, as a vampire, has to drink blood from time to time, you should not hold against him. Show advocacy and understanding in conversation.
In all possible dialogues you have with Astarion from now on, you should respond to his interests and ask him about his past. If it’s about the larva, tell him that you’re also a fan of the powers you gain from it.
The next morning, you wake up next to Astarion and notice the scars on his back. Choose the following dialog options here:
- Interesting scars. Where’d you get them?
- Why did he write it in Infernal?
Thereafter, the next day will start.
The BG3 Astarion Romance in Act 1
Your romance with Astarion can start even before the quest “Save the Refugees”. That is, shortly after you recruit Astarion. However, it would be best if you spent enough time getting to know him within your conversations and gain his trust. At the beginning, these are mainly the following dialogue options:
- Accept Astarion’s apology when you first meet him.
- After you’ve persuaded the Tieflings to release Lae’zel, betray the Tieflings.
- Ask Lae’zel to say “please” before you release her from the cage.
- Join Lae’zel against the Tieflings once you’ve persuaded them to free her.
- Decide to attack Gimblebuck and the gang near the ruins.
If you have received appropriate approval from Astarion, he will address you as Darling and tell you that he must be thinking about you. This is a good sign for the start of your romance. As long as you accept him in subsequent dialogues, the romance will continue to build from this point.
|More Baldur’s Gate 3 Romance:|
After you have saved the Tieflings and turned against the Goblins, the Druids will have a party in your camp. Talk to Astarion here and choose the following dialog options:
- Really? Saving lives is awful?
- True, the goblins would have thrown a wilder party.
- And what’s your idea of ‘a little fun’?
- All right, let’s do it. I’ll see you later.
Astarion has now offered you to meet him at night for a rendezvous. From this point on, you will almost automatically get to the first intimate sex scene when you confirm his desire. Afterwards, he will tell you more about himself.
The BG3 Astarion Romance in Act 2
In the second act, increase Astarion’s approval in the following core moments as follows:
- At the Last Light Inn:
- Refuse the wine offered by Jaheira.
- Shuffle the lance board in favor of Mol.
- Choose “I say we follow the winged freak” when Marcus invites Isobel to meet Ketheric.
- Tell His Majesty the Cat, “My intentions are pure. I just wanted to admire you up close.”
- Ruined Battlefield:
- Run away when the harpers are attacked by shadows.
- Deceive Gerringothe Thorm.
- During “Punish the Wicked” convince He Who Was to stab himself.
- During “Seek Protection from the Shadow Curse” Pass the deception check against Kar’niss.
- During “Seek Protection from the Shadow Curse” convince Kar’niss to leave without the lantern.
- Once you receive the moon lantern, refuse to release the pixie Dolly Dolly Dolly.
- Release Dolly Dolly Dolly from the Moonlantern.
- Everytime you successfully mime drinking against Thisobald Thorm.
- Everytime you successfully recall a story against Thisobald Thorm.
In further dialogues with Astarion, behave as before. Agree with evil deeds in principle and annoy your fellow human beings. Let Astarion continue to drink your blood and thus build up the romance more.
If you meet Raphael in Act 2, you should have Astarion with you. He will offer you a deal to translate Astarion’s scars. Agree to the deal and Astarion will want to talk to you in the camp. Then choose the following dialog options here:
- About your undying love for me?
- Optional: Are you alright?
- So do I. More than anything.
- Optional: So the nights we spent together didn’t mean anything?
- I care about you. Deeply
- You are worth a great deal to me, no matter what you’re going through.
In the end, decide to hug Astarion:
The BG3 Astarion Romance in Act 3
In the third act, of course, your relationship with Astarion continues and drifts more into drama. When you arrive at the master of love Zethino, he asks you a few questions. Be sure to answer them as follows:
- Question 1: “When he is up to his elbows in blood”.
- Question 2: “Me” or “Revenge”.
- Question 3: “Actually, he is afraid of almost everything” or “Break a nail”.
Furthermore, you can make fun of the accent of the NPC Saer Grotpoll’s Rivingtonian, which also pleases Astarion. If you get to the point of asking Astarion for more intimacy and he refuses out of spite, try to make him jealous by saying that you will then become intimate with the Orlith twins.
Later in Astarion’s Quest, you will encounter Cazador and have the opportunity to stop or complete the vampire ritual.
Stop the Ritual
If you stop the ritual, Astarion will not become a vampire lord. After that, go to your camp and start a long rest. Astarion will want to talk to you. He will tell you that he is disappointed and will have to get used to the shadows again. Here, the first 2 answers you choose are up to you. After that, Astarion asks you to follow him.
Astarion will take you to a graveyard and open up to you a bit. Your answer doesn’t matter here for now until the point where he tells you that he wants to enjoy life again with everything it has to offer. Choose one of the following dialogue options here:
- Leads to sex: Oh? Do you want a little fun?
- Leads to sex: I thought you’d never ask.
- Doesn’t lead to sex: Let’s just… stay here? Together?
While the first two options lead to an intimate scene, in the third option, Astarion is grateful that you stayed with him.
Complete the Ritual
If Astarion is to become the Vampire Lord, you allow him to complete the ritual. To do this, you agree to connect to his mind so that he can see the runes through your eyes, which he then carves into Cazador’s back. Once the ritual is finished, you must defeat the Gur when leaving the palace and then go to your camp.
Once you start a Long Rest, Astarion will seek you out. Here the first answer doesn’t matter, then choose the following:
- I want to be a vampire, like you.
- Optional: I want you. I want your body.
- Yes, that’s all I want.
- Please, yes.
This leads to an intimate sex scene with Astarion. Once the scene is over, you have to kneel down. After that, you can choose what you want. Astarion will feed on you and you will become his vampire spawn. You will then get the Vampire Bite ability.