In this short guide to DayZ, we’ll show you how to build a gate, what tools and resources you need to do it. Once you’ve done it, you won’t forget it!
What’s going on? If you build a base in DayZ, you have to build a gate — otherwise it will be difficult to enter your home. Thanks to the recent changes in raiding, this is going to be really hard and expensive. So to make sure you can always get in and out, we’ll now get to how to build a gate in DayZ.
- Never miss DayZ news & guides again — Guided Social Media
How to build a gate for your base in DayZ
Where do you build a base? Before the gate is built, you need to find a location for your base, of course. In vanilla DayZ, that is on the consoles or without mods on the PC, you have to find relatively flat areas. Now you start building your base and as a crowning touch you need the gate:
Overview: These tools & materials you need
To start building your gate, you need the right tools and building materials. In DayZ you can build walls, towers and gates from two different materials: Metal and Wood. At the beginning of your construction you’ll surely have to resort to wood. When it comes to tools, you can do without a hammer if you have a hatchet, because with this small axe, you can also build.
Tools for building the gate:
- Axe (or hatchet)
- Shovel or pickaxe
Building material for the construction of the gate:
- Small sticks
- Metal wire
- Tree logs
- Wood planks
- Metal (Optional)
Building a gate Step 1: Gather all the materials
Once you have all the tools together, you can start securing the foundation for your gate. To do this, you’ll need to find logs, sticks, a rope, a metal wire and nails. In total, you will need so many raw materials to build the gate in DayZ:
- 2x short stick: you can break sticks at any bush, with or without tools.
- 1x Rope: Ropes spawn in industrial areas, garden sheds, rural houses and barns.
- 2x + 5x log: With the help of your axe you need to cut down a big tree to get two to three logs. 2x logs you need for the foundation, 5x more for plank.
- 18x planks: To craft planks, you need to collect logs again and then combine them with the saw to make the wooden planks. From one log you get 4x planks. So you need a total of 5x logs, for the plans.
- 36x nails: You can find nail boxes everywhere in industrial and farm areas, as well as garden huts. There are about 70x nails in a box.
- 1x metal wire: You need the wire for the locking mechanism of your gate. You can also find wire in industry or farm areas.
Building a Gate Step 2: Build the wall
To build a gate in DayZ, you first have to build a normal wall. Only in the next step you can turn the wall into a gate and secure your base. Let’s start with the foundation:
Building a Wall – Here’s how:
- Make a fence kit: Combine 2x Short Sticks with 1x Rope and crafte the Fence Set Kit that you can then erect.
- Attach tree logs: Next you will need 2x tree logs. Which you need to attach to your kit one by one.
- Set up foundation: Now grab your shovel or pickaxe and set up the foundation. The fence kit will now pop back up, and you can pick it up.
- Attach planks & nails: Once the two logs are up, you now need to add 18x planks and 36x nails to the structure. The easiest way to do this is to stand in front of your unfinished gate and open your inventory. In the left column you will now see your environment, here you will also see the corresponding icons for the materials — put them in.
- Build the frame: Now pick up your hatchet or hammer. You should see two build options: Build Lower Frame and Build Upper Frame. It doesn’t matter which one you start with.
- Finish the wall: The next build option you need to select is “Build wooden wall top/bottom”. Make sure you don’t build a ramp!
- Build Gate: To build a working gate from your wooden wall now, you will need a pair of combination pliers and a metal wire. Attach the wire to the construction plan of your wall. Now select the pliers and execute the “Build gate” building option.
|More about DayZ|
What should you keep in mind when building your gate in DayZ?
How to lock your base: To prevent anyone from breaking into your base, you need to lock it. You can find two different combination locks in DayZ. One lock is blue and has a combination of 3x digits, the other lock is red and has 4x digits. Attach the lock to your gate and choose a combination.
This way it will be even more secure: It would be silly if someone would take you around the corner as soon as you leave your base and the door is open. Build a kind of airlock, using two more walls as a corridor and a second gate at the end. This way you prevent campers from entering your base just because the gate is open.