The wound infection in DayZ is an early stage of blood poisoning that affects your character if you treat your wound with non-disinfected bandages or needles. Both poisonings are part of a diversity of sicknesses in DayZ, and in this guide, we show you everything you need to know about wound infection in DayZ.
Overview of Wound Infection:
- You get blood poisoning from uncleanly treated cuts and wounds.
- Symptoms include your character moaning, blurred vision, or rapid depletion of the fluid bar.
- You can only prevent wound infection with sterile bandages or cauterized needles.
- There are two stages of blood poisoning, the first easily curable, the second almost always fatal.
Causes and Progression of Wound Infection in DayZ
- Walking barefoot
- Cuts from sliding off ladders
- Bleeding from fall damage
- Gunshot wounds
- Any other type of cut injury
Stage 1 of Wound Infection
- Your character moans in pain.
- A pulsating blur covers your screen.
- Stamina regeneration is 50% slower.
- This stage lasts about 20 minutes.
Stage 2 of Wound Infection
- Louder moaning from your character
- Blur becomes even stronger
- Fever sets in
- Severe trembling of the hands
- Water (hydration) depletes 10 times faster
- 0.75 health loss every 13 seconds (10 health in 4 minutes)
- 40 minutes until guaranteed death
Treating Wound Infection
Treating Stage 1 Wound Infection: As long as you’re in the first stage, you can easily heal your blood poisoning. Rub your wound with an iodine or herbal tincture. Within a minute, the status of the wound infection should subside and your DayZ adventure can continue. In Stage 2, however, you can forget about both remedies.
Treating Stage 2 Wound Infection: To treat a Stage 2 infection, you need Tetracycline tablets. The healing takes a total of about 15 – 20 minutes, depending on the state of your current health. In our tests, we had to take about 4 tablets to completely heal the wound infection. But not all at once! Always wait until the effect of a tablet wears off after about 4 minutes.
Preventing Wound Infection
To avoid getting into a tricky situation in the first place, you should keep the following in mind. Bandages, cloth scraps, and the sewing kit are your best option for treating a wound. However, they should be sterile, which you can achieve with disinfectant. Alcohol tinctures also disinfect your remedies. But again, there’s a catch. A change in condition from, say, pristine to worn lifts the sterile effect.
Useful Information about Wound Infection in DayZ
- Cut wounds heal on their own after 5 minutes. This guarantees an infection, whether you’ve cleaned the wound or not.
- Sterile items do not lose their status even when they get wet.
- You cannot achieve sterility through heat.
- There is no additional shock damage just because you have an infection.