The open-world role-playing game Hogwarts Legacy doesn’t just consist of Hogwarts University and the small town of Hogsmeade. We have summarized all known locations of the Harry Potter prequel so far.
The game’s map is large: the numerous video previews of Hogwarts Legacy over the past few months established that wizard students will spend a lot of time in the university building. Planting herbs, breeding fantastic animal creatures, and even exploring dungeons: This and more is on the daily schedule for Hogwarts students.
But there is also life beyond the time-honored castle walls. You probably already know that ingredients for potions can be purchased in the small town of Hogsmeade. However, the open game world of Hogwarts Legacy also consists of smaller settlements, hostile fortresses, and other iconic locations from the novel and movie. This article will tell you which ones they are in detail.
These Are the Locations of Hogwarts Legacy
The release of the attractively licensed AAA title is still imminent. Hogwarts Legacy is scheduled for release on February 10, 2023, and pre-orderers of the Deluxe Edition can start playing three days earlier. Due to artbook and map leaks, we already know quite a few locations, which we will discuss in more detail below.
At Hogwarts Castle, you’ll take up to eight required courses and socialize with your fellow students in between. Otherwise, the stylishly furnished common rooms of the four houses are of particular interest here, as is the “Room of Wishes,” which functions as a kind of hub. Here you can brew your own potions and grow herbs.
Over time, the room fills up with other objects and equipment, such as vivariums, by which animals freed from traps can be nursed back to health. All locations of the educational institution at a glance:
- Great Hall
- Room of wishes
- Principal’s office
- Hogwarts library including the forbidden part
- Hogwarts kitchen
- Corridor of the fat lady
- Gryffindor common room
- Hufflepuff common room
- Ravenclaw common room
- Slytherin common room
- History of Magic Classroom
- Herbology Classroom
- Wizardry Classroom
- Potions Classroom
- Defense Against the Dark Arts Classroom
- Trust student bathroom
More rooms can be unlocked by solving puzzles (inside and outside of Hogwarts).
It is questionable whether the terrain surrounding Hogwarts University will be of greater use. Apparently, it can’t be explored without restrictions, since the sorcerer’s apprentices (at least according to the preview) lack swimming abilities. The Hogwarts Grounds are divided into several individual areas:
- Graveyard: No, the source material doesn’t mention a final resting place near the university. Nevertheless, the developers at Avalanche probably didn’t do a bad job of integrating new insights around the wizarding school as well. Whether you’ll be able to use a folding spade here, or just be heart-quoted by the story, is yet to be seen.
- Forbidden Forest: Not too much is known about the probably spider-infested Forbidden Forest yet. The preview footage so far only showed the sinister location as part of a main mission, which didn’t provide any information about the size of the area or the general fauna.
What awaits you in the Forbidden Forest? #HogwartsLegacy pic.twitter.com/L3IxRz7DTV
— Hogwarts Legacy (@HogwartsLegacy) October 12, 2022
- Hagrid’s Hut: While the game has largely recognized being set over a hundred years before the Harry Potter novels, it obviously didn’t want to refrain from this fan service. However, the mentioned guy will definitely not be its inhabitant, as his birth around 1890 is still 38 years in the future.
On the one hand, Hogsmeade is known as the snowy town for those who know magic, and is guaranteed to be an important setting for the story, for it is here that the goblin revolt on which it is based is brewing. According to the original story, Hogsmeade should have numerous stores in the late 19th century, which the glimpses into the game so far confirm at least to some extent. For sure there will be:
- Hogsmeade train station: Sure, the train station of the Scottish village was already built around 1850 and therefore belongs in the game. However, nothing is known to date about what interactions will be allowed with the Hogwarts’ station. Of course, every newcomer will want to take a spin on the Hogwarts Express, but a Red Dead Redemption 2-style tour is probably not to be expected.
- Tomes and scrolls: The Bookshop, founded in 1768, could make an appearance even in a prequel to the prequel, that much is certain. What we can’t say for sure is whether spellbooks to learn new magic can ultimately be bought here. This aspect of the game hasn’t been highlighted even shortly before release.
- Pippin’s potions: That there would be a potions store in this part of the Potterverse was known early on. Among other things, you can get the standard healing potion “Wiggenweld” here, and Pippin presumably also carries heaps of potion ingredients.
- Ollivander’s: The Hogsmeade branch of Ollivander’s is known from the original lore and is therefore authentic. Ollivander’s is known to offer wand enhancements, but it is not yet clear if such upgrades will be available in Hogwarts Legacy.
- Gladrag’s wizarding robes: Because robes make wizards. Gladrag is also represented in London and Paris – and accordingly a big name in the fashion industry in the Wizarding World. According to the previews, it can be said with a good conscience that a variety of different clothing awaits you here.
The question mark behind the name of the legendary Diagon Alley is there for a good reason. The shopping mall for witches and wizards has not yet been seen in official previews, but the Gringotts Bank located there has. So the possibility of Diagon Alley appearing in Hogwarts Legacy is not completely ruled out, but the restraint shown by the marketing department in this regard casts doubt on it.
Azkaban: The official video sequence with images from Azkaban makes it likely that the wizard prison will be a setting for the plot. The emphasis is on the plot, should current leaks prove to be correct. They speak of a great influence of the choice of houses on the story. In other words, it could well be that only members of certain factions will actually travel to Azkaban.
Beach: As part of a quest in which your character visits a ruin together with Professor Fig, there is also a beach scenario to see. However, because a graphorn is roaming around there, a beach vacation is out of the question for the time being. Especially mountain trolls know a song about the special “peacefulness” of the Graphorns.
Old temple: Nothing more is known about the apparently fictitious temple from the previews. Presumably, locations like this will provide additional danger, as the area surrounding the university is described as relatively peaceful in the previews.
|Find more helpful guides, collections, or tips and tricks in our Hogwarts Legacy Guide Overview.|
Underground Goblin Base & Dungeons: Publisher Warner Bros. already clarified the existence of dungeons in Hogwarts Legacy early on. In the gameplay demonstration below from April 2022, you can once again see the underground goblin base starting at the timestamp 5:00. Among other things, your task will obviously be to solve some more complex cogwheel puzzles.
Want to join our community and discuss Hogwarts Legacy? Then feel free to join our Discord server or visit us on Facebook. We look forward to seeing you there!