When you first come across Soul Coins, you probably won’t understand what they are for or how to get more. It’s a creepy currency filled with the souls of people and as noted, is used to power infernal engines. In this guide, you’ll find out if you should take coins from Lann Tarv in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Lann Tarv is one of the few NPCs from whom you can get some of these coins. What will happen if you accept the offer and what they are really for is listed below.
Baldur’s Gate 3: What Happens if You Take Soul Coins From Lann Tarv
Lann Tarv is a strange creature that you can meet in Act 2 when visiting Moonrise Towers. When you find him in the main hall, you can talk to him. During the conversation, you will learn that Flo left some Soul Coins for Karlach, which you can take after listening to his stories. You can either refuse, saying that you don’t make deals with the devil, or you can accept. It’s worth noting that if you agree, nothing will happen and it won’t affect the story. Thus, all you need to do is to comply with the terms of the deal, namely to listen to 1 story for 1 coin. Here is what Lann Tarv will tell you:
- Coin #1: The first story tells you about a girl named Mavery. She was born into a family of cruel people. Her father, mother, and three brothers, each named Baldur, never loved her, and she never knew true love. At the age of 15, she wanted to meet her love and sold her soul to Tiamat to do so. She got what she wanted and met a young man named Clint. But things didn’t go as she expected, and he was killed by a cart as soon as he laid eyes on Mavery.
- Coin #2: The second story tells of an ordinary peasant named Frakes, who lived near Neverwinter with his children. They happened to be facing the worst hunger in thousands of years. He prayed for help to feed his children meat, and Zariel came to his aid and said, “Make old Frakes grow flesh upon flesh after flesh”. After that, his children ate all the meat they could fit into their stomachs. Such is the irony of fate.
- Coin #3: The last story is about an eight-year-old boy named Ongir. He loved to play with his friends. That’s all.
After listening to all these stories, you will receive the promised coins, and then you can also trade with Lann Tarv to buy new items. If you’re looking for a way to spend those coins, you can give them to Karlach, who can consume them to get the following buffs:
- Infernal Fury condition.
- An additional 1D4 Fire Damage to her attacks when Raging.
- An additional 1D4 Fire Damage to her attacks when her health is less than 25%.
By the way, while you are here, make sure to take a look at our article on where to find and how to free the artist in Baldur’s Gate 3.