The developers of DayZ have hidden ample hints about the upcoming Update 1.23 on Twitter, the content & launch period of which DayZ expert Kevin Willing discloses.
Some highlights of DayZ Update 1.23:
- The Update starts today (Nov. 7th) at 1:00 p.m. CET
- There will be a Wipe for this update, regarding the game world
- North-West-Airfield is being revised to increase player interaction.
- Supply Crates & dynamic Airdrops are coming into the game.
All New Content & Changes in DayZ Update 1.23 – Patch Notes
This is What the New NWA (North-West Airfield) Looks Like in DayZ 1.23
Regarding the NWA, there seem to be the most significant changes in the upcoming update. Among other things, the design of the airfield is completely overhauled to resemble the old NWA from the Alpha days.
Norht West Airfield Adjustments:
- The construction site south of the NWA is gone. Here you will find a forested area in the new DayZ version.
- The military village (or barracks) on the opposite side of the construction site shrinks considerably. Furthermore, the accommodations are now directly adjacent to the airfield, instead of protruding like a bump.
- The west of the Airfield also shrinks a bit. Many storage areas, pipes, and maintenance buildings have been removed.
- The crashed plane on the runway is now in the center of the NWA, not at the northern end.
- The main entrance to the NWA has been transformed into a checkpoint. This checkpoint now also has the Tisy-HQ building. This HQ has an underground bunker, which previously led nowhere.
Supply Crates and Airdrops with Update 1.23
For mod players on PC already an everyday occurrence, now console fans and vanilla enthusiasts can also enjoy Airdrops and/or Supply Crates. These are cargo drops that appear randomly on the map like helicopter crash sites and sometimes contain the best equipment in DayZ.
Again, it’s the developers’ teaser that reveals the existence of Supply Crates. Because on Twitter the team writes about the teaser image:
Found a supply crate of unknown origin.
As already mentioned with the changes to the Airfield, the crashed C-130 airplane moves to the center of the runway. This suggests that its position should be more exposed. So are you expecting a static supply drop here?
Further possibilities for the Airdrops in Update 1.23:
- Dynamic Drops: Here, airdrops fall from the sky, irregularly and announced by loud propellers.
- Static & Dynamic: There could be a fixed supply crate at the NWA, while supply crates are dropped dynamically in other parts of the map.
Both static and dynamic drops are likely, and this is proven by the toxic zones in DayZ. These “Toxic Areas” are also statically located at certain places and appear dynamically on the map.
Update: So far, we’ve only seen static supply drops in the devs’ livestream. Again, tomorrow on October 5 we will find out if there are dynamic airdrops as well.
New Bunker Facilities under the NWA?
The teaser for Update 1.23 also reveals more about underground buildings and bunkers. According to the whiteboard, the building formerly known as the “Prison” or “Camo Building” now has a basement. Additionally, the left part of the building, according to the blueprints in the teaser, is accessible. The staircase into the bunker might be located in this part of the building.
YouTuber Wobo, who is considered an absolute DayZ expert in the community, is sure: there’s a whole underground bunker network under the NWA with DayZ Patch 1.23. The points marked on the map would then indicate the entrances.
Hopes are high for this bunker facility, as its counterpart has already been on the Livonia map for a year. With map improvements, the developers have introduced a bunker facility on Livonia that is darn exciting to explore due to dive and time-based walkthrough phases!
Update October 5: The experimental servers are online, and now we know there is indeed a basement under the Camo Building that leads into a bunker facility. However, it is only a few rooms and not a tricky network of tunnels under the NWA.
New vehicle “V3S Command” – But only a Wreck?
Also, on the whiteboard of the update teaser you can find a picture of the V3S Command. The Command is a variant of the V 3 S, which you can already repair and drive in DayZ. The new variant is a version of the V3S, which you can use mainly for transporting larger groups of players. Here are the features of the V3S Command:
- Driver’s cabin for 2 people
- Instead of cargo area, a protected passenger compartment
Update October 4: In the developers’ stream, we’ve only seen the new truck in wreck form so far. It is red and white and spawns at the NWA military lot. If there will be a working version of the V3S Command in 1.23, we will find out tomorrow, on October 05.
Update October 5: The Experimental Patchnotes only mention a wreck of the new vehicle. Moreover, it is not a V3S Command, as assumed for the time being, but an M3S Firefighter.
Known Vehicles get More Power
The Gunther (Golf 2) and the V3-S truck each get improved performance:
- Gunther: More traction, acceleration and top speed off-road.
- V3-S: Due to higher traction and acceleration, the truck climbs mountains better.
More new Things & Changes in DayZ Update 1.23 (November 2023)
- New Gun: The Devs were teasing a new gun in their livestream but did not show it yet.
- New Headgear: Headwrap is shown, can be combined with the gas mask
- New hat with face mask OKZK and a Petushok hat
- New tool: folding spade
- New gloves: padded gloves
- Push cars: You can now push cars to push them off curbs or rocks in the new update.
- New sounds for various actions, like ripping clothes.
- Halloween Event: With the teaser image, the developers show a picture of the Aztec god of the underworld. This god is called Mictlantecuhtli and rules the deepest levels of the underworld. In the teaser, this is marked as a “target”. With Halloween around the corner, the developers might introduce a new super-strong opponent within the new bunker facility. In the last Halloween event, we fought mummies.
- New story snippets: Also visible on the teaser is a story of a squad of unknown origin. They lost a comrade and want to take revenge on the alleged murderer with Operation Rabbit-Hole.
- New Skybox: In recent months, the developers have repeatedly presented calendar images with amazing skyboxes. Among other things, there’s a night sky where you can see the Milky Way. And the volumetric clouds might also return, as another calendar picture suggests.
Release Date of DayZ Update 1.23 on PC, Xbox, Playstation + Cryptic Message
- Experimental Start: October 5, 2023
- Stable Server Start: November 7, 2023 (PC & Xbox)
Vigenère: “DayZ” is the Key – “Vupulvc, err rgrsc vko azq, ol Nftmahr 5, rgh ncww epz gaumv: evohrglhnrzo 1.23”
The decrypted message reads:
Survive. For those who succeed. On October 5th. The next era awaits. Experimental 1.23
Full Patch Notes for DayZ 1.23 (Stable Version)
- Characters can now push vehicles
- Designated marksman rifle (DMR) with 10- and 20-round magazines
- Field Shovel
- Padded Gloves
- Winter Coif
- OKZK hat
- Petushok hat
- Firefighter M3S Wreck
- The server browser now displays the number of players in the waiting queue
- Sound for deploying fireplaces and improvised explosives
- Sounds for crafting rags
- Sounds for washing hands
- Sounds for locked valve doors
- Sounds for cutting planks
- Sounds for (un)equipping the pipe wrench
- Sounds for pulling corpses from vehicles
- Sounds for placing a claymore mine
- Sounds for placing and arming the improvised explosive
- Sounds for crafting fireplaces
- Sounds for crafting a hand drill
- Functionality to hide/show the password when entering servers
- Objects behind the player would not always cast shadows from dynamic lights
- The drain/pour sound could get stuck by jumping during the action
- The sound of emptying a bottle was still played after interrupting the action
- The gas stove was playing baking sounds even without food
- While boiling food, the sound of frying would be played
- The camera was not following the character correctly when falling unconscious while jumping
- Throwing in prone when turning could result in the character turning on its stomach
- Deploying the fishnet trap would spawn it above the water surface
- Fixed instances of several items not causing stagger when used for heavy melee attacks
- Shots fired with double-fire would not register properly
- Godrays from the sun could shine through the horizon
- Reduced clipping issues with several clothing items
- Hunting jackets did not have their damaged textures when equipped
- Jumping while picking up items could result in desync
- Fixed a texture glitch on the character ankles when wearing dress shoes without pants
- A bush type was hidden too early
- The damaged texture of canned food was even shown on the food inside the cans
- Baked Penny Bun mushrooms had no texture
- Fixed exploits in structures
- Items would not get wet when put into a barrel filled with water
- The watchtower roof would block the selection of other items on the second floor
- Certain animations to equip an item were played twice when triggered
- Entering ADS of a weapon with a scope while throwing the weapon could result in a broken HUD
- It was possible to see through certain textures with selected scopes
- Some two-handed melee weapons had broken attack animations
- When disarming an improvised explosive after a server restart, the explosives inside could not be removed
- Fixed an exploit to access medium tents from outside
- Digging up worms close to objects could cause the character to get stuck
- Fixed an animation-related exploit to look through walls
- Fixed an instance of desynced hand slots through the equip action
- Certain door sounds in the prison building were too quiet
- Respawn after dying while in unconscious state would trigger a confirmation request
- An alarm tied to an improvised explosive would keep ringing after the explosion in certain cases
- With some optics the view would shift to the right when looking through them
- Shooting large amounts of bullets indoors would result in sounds being played with delay
- The image of the pear when held in hands was cropped in the inventory
- It was not possible to bury a Drybag
- The clapping gesture was playing the wrong sound when having certain food items in hands
- The stone oven fire could be extinguished by rain
- Fixed a config animation path for the BK-133
- Major overhaul of the skybox and its textures
- Reworked the interior of the large castle tower
- Removed a redundant sound during the gas canister explosion
- Disabled shadows for fireworks and reduced their light radius to reduce their performance impact
- Increased maximum bandwidth limits of Client->Server traffic to reduce movement desync when firing weapons
- Updated the game credits
- Renamed the fire-mode of the crossbow from semi-auto to single
- The clutch for the M3S now triggers faster
- Increased the inertia of the M3S
- Slightly adjusted the weight of the M1025 Offroad to be able to climb climbing hills
- Adjusted explosion sounds and ranges
- Tweaked red tracer bullets for better visibility
- Adjusted vehicles for better control on grass
- Changed: Reduced the spawning of warm hats to account for newly added items
- Added: Overhead lines for the railway network
- Changed: Major overhaul for the Vybor Air Base (NWAF)
- Changed: Moved ASVAL and VSS spawns from contaminated areas to high tier military areas and increased their numbers
- Changed: Moved VSD and FAL to contaminated area spawns and decreased their numbers
- Changed: Moved KA74, KA74U and M16A2 to higher military tier spawns
- Changed: Base building items can no longer be placed in the Livonia underground
- Changed: Moved ASVAL and VSS spawns from contaminated areas to high tier military areas and increased their numbers
- Changed: Moved VSD and Aug from military to contaminated area spawns and decreased their numbers
- Added: Group Spawning system
- Added: cfgPlayerSpawnGear.json to assign gear for players to spawn with
- Added: New gameplay json parameter to disallow items spawning in underground areas
- Added: Gameplay config ability to disable respawn of unconscious players from the ingame menu
- Fixed a typo related to vehicleparts resulting in CE errors
- Added: The server browser now displays the number of players in the waiting queue
- Added: DLC section
- Fixed: Traditional Chinese language was not properly functioning
- Added: ‘Object.GetActionComponentsForSelectionName’, ‘Object.GetActionComponentCenter’, ‘Object.GetActionComponentCenterOOB’ and ‘Object.GetActionComponentMinMax’
- Added: Expanded on the Door API for Building, adding in events, state accessors and getting the maximum door count
- Added: “space” panorama layer
- Added: “atmosphere” panorama layer, deprecated “sky” panorama layer
- Added: Renamed “horizon” panorama layer, deprecated “horizont” panorama layer
- Added: “spaceIntensity” to weather config, controls brightness of space texture
- Added: “atmosphereIntensity” to weather config, controls how much of the atmosphere is visible
- Added: Diag menu “DayZ render > Sky” for disabling individual parts of the sky
- Added: Script Editor: Dropdown ‘Build’ > ‘New Errors Are Warnings’, works same as command parameter ‘-NewErrorsAreWarnings=1’
- Added: ‘HumanInputController.OverrideFreeLook’ to force enable/disable freelook
- Fixed: Attached sounds would play at the origin of the parent when offset
- Fixed: r-value would be ignored when finding a function to be called, i.e. a static function could be called through any variable like ‘GetGame().SpawnEntity’ where ‘SpawnEntity’ is a static global function
- Fixed: Sky was purple in buldozer under circumstances where the weather was not being updated due to horizon not being initially set on world load
- Changed: Streamlined the deploy sound playback script implementation
- Changed: ‘Object.GetBonePivot’ now supports memory lod, added ‘Object.GetMemoryLevel’
- Changed: Moved ‘string.Get’ and ‘string.Set’ to native for slight performance improvement
- Changed: Moved “starsIntensity” to lighting config to configure at each sun angle
- Changed: ‘LightingNew’ config will now ignore any class that starts with ‘Default’, can be used for inheriting default parameters amongst sun angle/height/overcast groups
- Changed: Config entries that expect a color now support a single float value as a grayscale entry without alpha (e.g. LightingNew diffuse entry)
- Changed: ‘HumanInputController’ overriding supports ‘HumanInputControllerOverrideType’ to allow overriding a value for only one input frame
So you don’t miss it, save the article as a bookmark and join our DayZ group on Facebook (via Linktr.ee). Here we will ultimately share all the information!