In this guide, you’ll learn how to find, export, and import save files in Baldur’s Gate 3.
Do you want to share your BG3 save files with your friends or an online community? Or maybe your friend, who’s the host of a party, isn’t playing currently, but you want to continue the playthrough with the rest of the party. Whatever the reason is, keep reading, as we’ll show you how to deal with the Save Files in BG3.
BG3: Where to Find Save Files
- To find your save files, open the Windows search bar, type “%AppData%”, and open the folder with that name.
- After opening %AppData%, open the “Local” folder – this is where the app data for all your apps is stored.
- In the Local folder, among many company names, you should find Larian Studios, which is the development team behind BG3. Open that folder.
- Once you’re in the Larian Studios folder, look for the Baldur’s Gate 3 folder. You’ll find all the data for BG3 in this folder, including the save files.
- There’s a specific folder for the save files, too. To access it, open the PlayerProfiles folder.
- After accessing PlayerProfiles, click Public.
- And once you’re in Public, enter the uppermost folder, which is Savegames.
From there, go into Story, which is the first and only folder in Savegames, and you should find all your save files there.
Now that you know where to find the save files, we’d like to show you how to export them and share them with your friends, or maybe even an online community.
BG3: How to Export and Share Save Files
Now, we’ll teach you how to export and share your save files in Baldur’s Gate 3. It’s quite a straightforward process, so just follow these simple instructions:
- To share save files in BG3, we advise you to use Google Drive. So, open Google Drive, click New and create a new folder.
- Now that you have a new folder, open it, and you’ll be presented with the option to add files by dragging and dropping them in.
- Open your Story folder in %AppData% alongside Google Drive and choose to save files you want to share.
- You need to drag your save files of choice and drop them into the Google Drive folder. Wait for the save files to upload, and your folder should look something like this:
To share the save files, click on the folder name on top, click Share and Copy link:
You now have the link to your Google Drive folder with the BG3 save files copied and can paste it anywhere you want, e.g. a post on Reddit or in a Steam group, thus letting anyone who sees it download your save files.
As you can see, it’s not a difficult process whatsoever that opens plenty of opportunities for you to make the game more convenient.
But what if you want to import someone else’s save files into your game? Stick around as we can teach you how to do that as well.
BG3: How to Import Save Files
Importing save files in BG3 allows you to play other people’s characters and playthrough. This can be quite fun as players make some rather quirky characters that you maybe wouldn’t have thought of creating. Without further ado, here’s how to import save files in Baldur’s Gate 3:
Firstly, you need to acquire a Google Drive link with a save file, or just get it in any other way to your computer. If you use Google Drive, once you have the link, paste it into your Google search bar, and you should be taken to the Google Drive folder.
The next step is critical. You need to right-click the folder name on top. Do NOT download the files individually, as they’ll load in a way that the game cannot read, thus not letting you get the save files into the game. After right-clicking the folder name up top, you want to click Download and wait for the files to download.
Once the files are done downloading, you will not need Google Drive anymore. Now, all you have to do is open the Story folder back up, which contains all your save files.
Alongside it, you’ll need to open your Downloads tab, where you’ll be presented with the compressed save files. Drag these files out to your desktop, open them up, and drag the uncompressed files out from them.
All you need to do from there is drag the uncompressed file from your desktop into the Story folder. Now you have the save file inside your game. To test it out, open your game and click Load game:
Then, look for the save file that you just downloaded and click on it:
Load the save file by clicking Load saved game at the bottom of the page:
Here you are, congratulations, you’ve successfully imported a save file in Baldur’s Gate 3. And while you are here, make sure to check our guide on how to get the Punch Drunk achievement in Baldur’s Gate 3.